Sunday, January 1, 2012

Good bye 2011, hello Candied Jalapeños!

Well another year has passed us by, I have had the last 8 days off and have failed to blog.  Please note, I have ONLY failed to blog, not failed to cook.  My pantry has been cleaned and rearranged, I have been obsesses with Indian cooking all week. Side note: anyone need a bag of leftover Curry leaves?  Not sure I can use the all up in addition to the 2 bags I already have in the freezer.

Anyway, I have also been obsessed with finding new jalapeño recipes and I have found it:

Candied Jalapeños- makes about 8-9 half pints

4 pounds fresh, firm, jalapeño peppers
3 cups apple cider vinegar
8 cups white granulated sugar
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons celery seed
12 cloves of garlic minced very fine
2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper or Hot paprika

Step 1: For the love of god, put on gloves

Step 2: Slice the jalapeños, I used a mandolin to get really thin slices
Step 3:  Make the syrup

In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed, minced garlic and cayenne pepper or paprika to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and once the mixture starts boiling again simmer for about 4 minutes.


Step 4: Remove the peppers with a slotted spoon and add to sterilized half pint jars

Step 5: Bring the syrup to a rolling boil and boil for 6 minutes.  After 6 minutes, fill the jars up within a 1/4" to the top.  Seal with lids and process in a water bath for 10 minutes.  After the 10 minute process, remove and let cool for 24 hours.





Now you may be asking yourself, " Wherre is the finished product?"  Well, Jenn and I like to refer to that as the money shot, and well, they aren't ready yet.  They need to sit for about 2 weeks before you crack open the first jar and taste the magic.  Here's hoping I can wait the 2 weeks.

-Jenny






No comments:

Post a Comment